Combining actionable, real-world source code with graphics, Pro Android Games, Third Edition shows you how to build more sophisticated and addictive Android game apps with minimum effort. Harness the power of the latest Android 5.0 SDK to bring countless legendary, action-packed PC games to the Android platform.
With actionable real-world source code, this one of a kind book shows you how to build more sophisticated and addictive Android game apps, by leveraging the power of the recent advancements found in the new Android 5.0 software development kit as well as those you've counted on in earlier releases.
Multi-touch code gives these games and their players dynamic input and exchange ability, for a more realistic arcade game experience. Faster and better performance offers Android game players a more seamless, fun arcade experience like never before. There is also improved native C/C++ integration with Android's NDK as well, which makes coding, compiling, and converting both productive and efficient with gains in app performance.
Pro Android Games, Third Edition features the following improvements:
- Updates to the latest version of the Android SDK, NDK, plus the latest Android Studio and Eclipse IDEs
- Greater focus on tablets, ever changing device resolutions, and hardware specs
- Native game development and hardware accelerated graphics
- Bigger and better real world engines, such as Quake I and II plus an oldie from the previous edition: Doom
- Coverage of the new Android TV SDK APIs, UI, UX, multi-touch and multi-tasking features available with the Android 5.0 release
- Advanced techniques for improving your game playing experience including better multi-tasking, improved performance optimization, battery management and more
- A "Quake 3D"-like game app case study
In the last few years, Android has progressed with the debut of better fonts, new User Interface and Experience (UI/UX) APIs, tablet considerations, multi-touch capabilities, multi-tasking, faster performance, improved battery management techniques, and now the new Android TV SDK Apps for the Android game app developer repertoire.
What you’ll learn
- How to develop and port game apps for the Android platform
- What are some special tricks for Android smartphones and tablets
- How to build a complex 2D game app for Android
- What are some gaming tricks using OpenGL and JNI
- How to integrate efficient graphics and create portability with latest OpenGL ES
- How to build a 3D shooter game app that resembles the popular and once best-selling games Doom, Quake and Quake II
- How to create fun experience using Bluetooth and Android Wear-based controllers
- How to design and port using Android TV SDK
This book is for savvy Android app developers who are looking for professional or advanced techniques for porting, augmenting and building 3D game apps that are complex, fun and lucrative.
Table of Contents
1. Welcome to Android Gaming
2. Gaming Tricks for Phones or Tablets
3. More Gaming Tricks with OpenGL and JNI
4. Efficient Graphics and Portability with OpenGL ES 2.0
5. 3D Shooters for Doom
6. 3D Shooters for Quake
7. 3D Shooters for Quake II
8. Fun With Bluetooth Controllers
9. Designing and Porting to Android TV
10. Deployment and Compilation Tips
11. Discovering Android Wear