- Master the highly acclaimed Material Design paradigm and give your apps and pages the look that everyone is talking about
- Get a mix of key theoretical concepts combined with enough practical examples to put each theory into practice so you can create elegant material interfaces with Android Studio and Polymer
- Written by Kyle Mew, successful author with over a decade of mobile and web development experience, this book has both the touch of a developer as well as an experienced writer
Google's Material Design language has taken the web development and design worlds by storm. Now available on many more platforms than Android, Material Design uses color, light, and movements to not only generate beautiful interfaces, but to provide intuitive navigation for the user.
Learning Material Design will teach you the fundamental theories of Material Design using code samples to put these theories into practice.
Focusing primarily on Android Studio, you'll create mobile interfaces using the most widely used and powerful material components, such as sliding drawers and floating action buttons. Each section will introduce the relevant Java classes and APIs required to implement these components. With the rules regarding structure, layout, iconography, and typography covered, we then move into animation and transition, possibly Material Design's most powerful concept, allowing complex hierarchies to be displayed simply and stylishly.
With all the basic technologies and concepts mastered, the book concludes by showing you how these skills can be applied to other platforms, in particular web apps, using the powerful Polymer library.
What you will learn
- Implement Material Design on both mobile and web platforms that work on older handsets and browsers
- Design stylish layouts with the Material Theme
- Create and manage cards, lists, and grids
- Design and implement sliding drawers for seamless navigation
- Coordinate components to work together
- Animate widgets and create transitions and animation program flow
- Use Polymer to bring Material Design to your web pages
Kyle Mew has been programming since the early eighties and has written for several technology websites. He has also written three radio plays and two other books on Android development.
Table of Contents
- Getting Started with Material Design
- Building a Mobile Layout
- Common Components
- Sliding Drawers and Navigation
- Lists, Cards, and Data
- Animations and Transitions
- Material on Other Devices
- Material Web Frameworks
- The Materialize Framework
- Material Design Lite